Thursday, February 27, 2020

The last leg of the road trip - Edinburgh


Fort Augustus - Stirling - Glasgow - Edinburgh

I would be lying if I said all days of this trip were awesome and equally enjoyable. Some days were more interesting than the others. However, one thing was clear to me that by the end of the trip - Scotland feels magical and I had started to romanticize it a lot more than I expected! It had been an incredible trip and we had finally reached the last leg of our journey. I will miss the heather-covered moors that lead down to sea cliffs and the rugged beaches of the UK.

Today was going to be one of those fantastic gem of a day. Me reuniting with my sister and spending the last 3 days in Scotland, before I bid farewell to this beautiful country; coming back for sure to have another adventure and explore it a little more. Our drive started with a beautiful rainbow greeting us a gorgeous morning. Driving through the tiny roads right between mountains, passing by the enormous lakes, we finally made our way to Stirling castle. The castle is one of the largest iconic landmarks of Scotland, an architectural masterpiece perched upon a hill, defended by steep cliffs that surround it on 3 sides. It indeed is an impressive castle that is wrapped around by a magnificent history. While wandering through the castle we came across an interesting room where we were greeted by costumed court officials, maid of honor and bodyguards. You could dress up in period costume, click pictures and play with medieval instruments. All the 3 kids, you know what I mean, had a blast playing dress up and clicking pictures.

After the tour, we drove to my sister’s apartment and had a hearty meal. Having spent some joyful time together, we called it a night and went back to our B&B. Next morning, we went to Glasgow to have a feel of the town, just hung around and enjoyed a relaxing day.

Then, for the first time in 7 years, I was going to leave the kids for the night, with my sister. How did I plan to spend the evening? Definitely not the way it turned out. I had seen these lovely photo frames, which I wanted to use at Aananya’s 5th birthday party since I was getting a live photo-booth for her birthday. I wanted to put the pictures clicked during the party in these photo frames and gift to the guests. I managed to get only a handful. So, after we left the kids with my sister, Aakaash and I went from one town to the next to find those particular photo frames. After hitting 2 nearby towns without any luck, I finally found it in the third town… and there went our first ever evening without kids in 7 years.

The next day we were to meet at Edinburgh Castle. Rinku got the kids directly to the castle, after the kids saw her university in Stirling and enjoyed the coach ride to Edinburgh. Edinburgh Castle is Scotland’s most visited historical castle and the lavish architecture that beckons you to make it a must see in your list. The view of Edinburgh from the castle top is breathtaking. The kids enjoyed taking pictures with the Scottish guard, who was happy to oblige us and posed for our pics. We went on a tour of the castle where there were performers dressed in medieval costumes enacting a part of history. Queen Mary’s chamber was fascinating to see and from there we walked towards the Scottish National War Memorial.

Later we walked along the Royal Mile and found a cute comfy restaurant to replenish the calories we had burnt. It suddenly dawned upon us that this was the last day of this beautiful trip. I bid farewell to my sister with a heavy heart. UK has a wild beauty that can’t be tamed, and I enjoyed exploring every bit of it. This indeed had been an incredible trip. Au Revoir.


No comments:

Post a Comment